Friday, May 22, 2020

सर्ग 16 / Canto XVI

XVI

“Aryaputra!”This was all I could mumble, teary-eyd

Your words did wallop my soul as arrows poisoned,

Soothing and comforting words were all what 1 needed.

 

sense of hurt and shame, and a deep agony

trapped me, I was standing like nude, publicly.

slowly I revived from the disgrace with determination.

 

"When Hanuman came to see me, then why didn't you abandon?

He informed me of your deep pain of separation.

This is immoral to betray a woman of pure emotion.

 

I would have ended my life had Hanuman told me

that my husband's faith is no more mine.

But you hadn't sent a message about my conjugal betrayal.

 

You are 'maryada purusottam , the best of all men.

Yet you employ such foul tongue for a woman!

For the blunder of Ravana, your wife you condemn?

 

All my penance for you has been in vain.  

So is all my faith, adoration, dedication and my tribulation.

Prepare a pyre me this moment, oh Lakshmana.”

 

Certainly, Lord, you had elapsed the reparation

Of our wedding years ago, and the bliss of love.

where is the archer who split Shiva-dhanush to get me as his wife?

 

You justify your statement that the war wasn't for me but for your forefath. Oh Rama! doubt whether lifting the Shiva dhanush in

my Svayamvar was less for Sita perse and more for your masochism,

 

Had your envoy Hanuman given a hint of this dishonor

I would have jumped into fire then and there

sparing so many warriors of war, death and horror.

 

Time will remember this, Aryaputra, for ages to come.

How inexplicable righteousness can put a woman to shame

and how fundamental and malicious denunciation is the right of a man!

 

Rejected by my husband, where was the place for me?

Oh woman, there's no "room of her own", to be.

Father's home, brother's house, husband's home or son's.

 

For me, oh Rama, you have been the all in one.

Yet, you have set the prototype for the denunciation of one's wife.

From now on, men will be free to get through their envy.

 

They can be earthy, egotistic, derogatory,

prejudiced, biased, ruthless to their wives.

Seeing my pain, Anala, Sarama, Trijala were in distress.

 

My obedient son, Lakshmana, prepared my funeral pyre.

There was of course no change in your looks exterior;

you were blasé, nonchalant, oh Rama, considering even the fire

 

 

 there was no one, not a single man, to sprint

to my rescue, after all I Was abandoned wife!

I had all lost rights and interests to life.

 

Then Gods from the heaven descended in airborne cars,

They kindly approached Rama, with their appeals.

But then, I spoke my mind with my coupled palms.

 

"Oh gods and goddesses, please let me end my life, if it be.

This is my trial-by-fire to swear my divine.

Nothing can surpass fire, neither can dishonesty.

 

If ever I was untrue, unfaithful in my action

or my thought, I may not be impervious from destruction.

Shield me or smolder me to ashes, oh Fire God Diviner'

 

I stepped into the flame, with firm resolution.

The horrific surrender e!icited tears in Lakshmana.

Cried Hanuman, vanaros, rakshashas in that moment torn.

 

Time became temporal, and then timeless

as I was baptized by fire immortal.

In the yellow magnificence of fire, I stood rebelliously still.

 

To testify my transcendental sacredness, person,

the Fire-God appeared from the pyre emblazon,

caring me in his fatherly arms, cosmic and benign.

 

 

Fire testified my purity, Rama witnessed his untainted wife.

Distorted by the authority of alchemy for this life.

I got the radiance of a the sun, I could strive.

 

My honesty and piety was celebrated by one and all

establishing the rightful, permissible, acceptable

questioning of husbands to wives with this harsh ordeal

 

Today, the society questions-- did I delineate this low

status for women and justify this patriarchal power by the fire-test?

Was I taking the encumber of women's hoarding distress?

 

No!! I strongly object to this sexist, biased accusation!

It was more of an act of insolence than a weak capitulation.

I didn't endorse a tradition of silent suffering and subjugation.

 

For some women , typically for the feminists and extremists,

'Sita' is tantamount with willful torment and pain

uncomplaining of women's low status with humiliation.

 

But they must read my story as the story of a woman

rather than as mandate openhanded holy texts

like the Gita, Bhagabat, the Bible or the Quran.

I was as mortal as any woman; the two thespian

moments of my life--the fire-test and the denial-

- must evoke the feeling of pity and fear, and then calm down.

 

 

 

I did not encourage women to charitably accept humiliation ;

I don't want anyone to shed tears, nor any sympathy shown .

But Rama's conduct a a husband, :surely the world will condemn.

 

There is one version of my story in some regional Ramayan

that 'actual Sita was in the custody of Agni Deva

throughout the period of fourteen years of exile.

Ravana had abducted a fake Sita. her' illusion'.

When Rama asked me for the 'agree pareeksha

I just came back to him leaving the Fire God's protection

 

But I estimate that even the 'shadow' of one's wife deserves

reverence, dignity, as 'it' can also protest rejection.

A character credential from the Agni Deva is

 

far less imperative than the reliance of one's man.

The other day I heard some elite call me names

and inform, the custom of bride-burning in

 

India has been subjective to Sita's fire-trial.

I do not blame them for forgetting that

I rather stand erect for autonomy and feminine free will.

 

I left a feeble male eternally stigmatized

and till today the social verdict speaks for a woman.

Rama withered in his standing due to his blemished

 

  

opinion of me while I ascended in public evaluation.

His brother, mother, devotees didn't approve of this

and I boldly abandoned his command time and again.

 

In Indian mythology, Durga or Kali are not only

combatant goddesses and the demolishers of malevolence,

they are also fostering, tolerant, kindhearted mothers.

 I am that side of a woman, who cannot be

enduringly enraged. I nurture magnanimity

in my heart to counterbalance the chaos of civilization.

 

My 'feminine' embodies the 'shaktii and 'bhakti'

the power and devotion, that rejuvenate Nature.

looked like one uncomplaining victim, that I wasn't

 

so; it was my nonviolent co-existence like Mother Nature.

Oh feminists! Calm down, rationalize your

one-dimensional pessimistic tag of Sita, the woman.

 

My story is not the citation about the

 intimidation, coercion and defeat of a woman.

Remember my treatment of Ravana at the other spectrum'

 

My audacity to stand alone would make the demons

of every age not dare to consider women as

fervently available. Rather women who demonstrate

 

  

potency would he venerated by the traditional;

Indian men; women can be mother figures, they can control

the family exercising power, ‘would. be goddeses virtual.

 

Compassionate mother, self-assertive wife,

dutiful daughter, woman oil a special pedestal.

Sans all intellectual slavery, this is my feminine moral.

 

By being flexible arid dignified, a woman need

not be frail. By not striking back hurriedly

like an unrestrained individual, she need not be called feeble.

 

Not saying harsh words to Rama, have shown

greater strength, it was my venerabie, non-violent

confrontation to subjugation and & dcrimination.

 

With ultimate self-control and self-reliance like 'Mahatma Gandhi

I fought with hostility. It was my courage and conviction.

Living sans a husband's protection was my trimphal win.

 

To perceive me as a victim is to condemn the power

of peaceful, non-violent, emotional, poignant revolution.

I am no object of pity, remember me as Nature humanitarian.

 

Sitas and Savitris are never the victims of

masculine and chauvinistic demeanor. Trust us beyond the

Western feminist politics and thought, this the need of the hour. 

XVI

 

"आर्यपुत्र!" केवल बुदबुदा सकी,भरे अश्रुपूरित नयन

तुम्हारे कर्कश शब्दों ने मेरी आत्मा को चीरा, विष के बाण,

सुख-शांति-दिलासा भरे शब्दों की आवश्यकता थी मेरे अयन ।

 

आहत,शर्म और एक गहरी पीड़ा उठी मेरे अंतर 

मानो किसी ने मुझे नग्न किया हो सम्मुख सार्वजनिक स्तर

धीरे-धीरे उठ खड़ी हुई पीकर विषैले अपमान का घूंट मेरे अंदर।

 

जब हनुमान आए मुझे देखने, क्यों नहीं किया परित्यक्त?

तब उसने कराया मुझे तुम्हारी गहरी विरह-वेदना से अवगत

क्या यह नहीं, भावुक नारी को धोखा देने जैसा असत ?

 

अगर बताते हनुमान,कर देती जीवन-लीला समाप्त

अब नहीं रहा मेरे पति का मुझ पर विश्वास-मत  

मगर तुमने मेरी पीठ पीछे किया विश्वासघात ।

 

तुम 'मर्यादा नरोत्तमसभी नरों में श्रेष्ठ-नर 

फिर  निर्दोष नारी पर इतना अत्याचार !

रावण के अपराध के लिएतुम्हारी पत्नी जिम्मेदार ?

 

मेरी सारी तपस्या का मिला यह निदान

व्यर्थ हुआ मेरा सारा विश्वास-समर्पण

सी क्षण तैयार करो चिताहे लक्ष्मण। 

 

 

भगवानतुमने मिटा दिया हर्षित प्रेम का वह बंधन

जो हुआ करता था वर्षों पहले हमारे वैवाहिक जीवन

अब वह धनुर्धर कहां है, जिसने तोड़ा शिव-धनुष मेरे आँगन ?

 

 ठीक कहते हो,युद्ध नहीं मेरे खातिर, रखनी थी तुम्हें पूर्वजों की शान

मुझे संदेह है स्वयंवर के शिव-धनुष-भंग में होगा सीता का नामो-निशान

हे राम! शायद तुम्हें करना था तुम्हें अपनी स्व-पीड़न का प्रदर्शन ,

 

यदि राम-दूत हनुमान ने दिया होता जरा-सा संकेत

मैं उसी समय कूद गई होती अग्नि की लपेट

न होता युद्धन फैलता भय-आतंक, न होती शूरवीरों की मौत 

 

समय इसे याद रखेगाआर्यपुत्रयुगों-युगों तक

कैसे बेवजह धर्म चढ़ाता किसी नारी पर कलंक

नर का यह मूल अधिकार कितना विध्वंसक !

 

पति द्वारा परित्यक्त औरत की जगह कहां ?

उसका तो "अपना खुद का कमरा" नहीं वहाँ

चाहे पिता, भाई, पति या बेटे का घर हो जहां।

 

 हे रामसब-कुछ माना मैंने तुम्हें अपना

फिर भी तैयार किया तुमने पत्नी-त्यागने का पैमाना

ईर्ष्यालु आदमी करेंगे वैसे ही आने वाले जमाना 

 

वे हो सकते है घृण्यअहंकारीभौतिकवादी परम

 पक्षपाती और अपनी पत्नियों के प्रति निर्मम

मेरा दर्द देख अनलासरमात्रिजला तड़पी अन्यतम 

 

 

 

 

मेरे आज्ञाकारी देवरलक्ष्मण ने बनाई मेरे लिए चिता

निसंदेह तुम्हारे चेहरे पर नहीं उभरी कोई चिंता   ;

हे राम! अग्नि-देखते हुए भी तुम थे उदासीन, परितृप्त

 

 

 कोई भी नहीं थाएक जन भी नहीं, जो मुझे बचाता

आखिर मैं थी पत्नी परित्यक्ता !

खो दिए मैंने जीवन के सारे अधिकार,सारे  हित ।

 

तभी स्वर्ग से प्रकट हुए देवतागण  ,

राम से करने लगे प्रार्थना-याचना 

मगर मैंने करबद्ध खोला, अपना मन  

 

हे देवतागणकरने दो समाप्त मुझे अपना जीवन 

हो मेरी दिव्य-शपथ का मेरा परीक्षण

न आग से बढ़कर कोई औरन ही मैं बेईमान।

 

मन-वचन-कर्म से किया हो कुछ गलत, या मैं असती

तो मैं विनाश से बच नहीं सकती

भस्मीभूत कर दो मुझे, ओ अग्नि-देवता !”'

 

दृढ़-संकल्प से प्रवेश किया मैंने अग्नि-भीतर

भयावह दृश्य देख बहा लक्ष्मण का अश्रु-नीर

विचलित हुए हनुमानरोये राक्षस, क्रंदन करने लगे वानर ।

 

समय थम-सा गयाऔर फिर काल-चक्र हुआ स्थिर

अग्नि-परीक्षा ने कर दिया मुझे अमर

आग की पीली चमक मेंआया मेरा विद्रोही रूप निखर 

 

 कैसे परखी जाती मेरी पारलौकिक पवित्रता ?

स्वयं गवाह बन चिता से प्रकट हुए अग्नि-देवता

ब्रह्मांड की सौम्य बाहों में लेकर जा रहे जैसे हो पिता।

 

 अग्नि ने ली मेरी पवित्रता की परीक्षा,

राम बने निष्कलंक पत्नी के मूक साक्षी

भुवन-भास्कर का तेज मिला मेरे अक्षी।

 

मेरी ईमानदारी और पवित्रता का लोग मनाने लगे त्योहार 

ठहराने लगे इसे उचितअनुमेयस्वीकार्यता का आधार

पति पूछने लगे पत्नियों से, दोगी सतीत्व की परीक्षा कठोर ।

 

आजसमाज सवाल पूछता है- क्या मैं नारी-दुर्दशा का कारण नहीं ?

अग्नि-परीक्षा देकर ठहराया पितृसत्तात्मक-शक्ति को सही  ?

क्या मैं नारियों को सतीत्व के संकट से दूर कर पाई कहीं ?

 

नहीं!! मैं इस लिंगभेद पक्षपाती आरोप का करती हूँ कडा खंडन 

कमजोर आत्म-समर्पण की तुलना में ढीठ-कर्म का स्थापन

नीरव-दुख और पराधीनता की परंपरा का मैंने कभी नहीं किया समर्थन।

 

कुछ महिलाओं के लिएनारीवादी और वामपंथियों के लिए खासकर

'सीता खुद, अपनी पीड़ा और अत्याचार की हकदार

नारियों की निम्न-स्थिति और अपमान को किया उसने उजागर।

 

पढ़ें मुझे साधारण नारी की कहानी की धुन 

पवित्र-ग्रंथों के पृष्ठों को खोले बिन

चाहे हो, गीताभागवतबाइबिल या कुरान।

 

मैं भी थी हर किसी औरत की तरह नश्वर

मेरे जीवन के दो नाटकीय क्षण- अग्नि-परीक्षा और तिरस्कार 

दया और भय उठे जिससे, फिर हो जाए निर्विकार 

 

 नारियों को अपमान सहने के लिए नहीं दिया मैंने प्रोत्साहन;

मैं नहीं चाहती कोई आंसू बहाएया करें कोई सहानुभूति का प्रदर्शन

भर्त्सना पाएगा सदैव,  राम का पति के रूप में बुरा आचरण 

 

क्षेत्रीय रामायण का कहता एक संस्करण

वास्तविक सीता तो थी अग्नि-देव की शरण

चौदह साल के पूरे मेरे निर्वासन ।         

 

रावण ने नकली माया सीता का किया अपहरण

जब राम ने कहा, मुझे देने को अग्नि-परीक्षण

चली गई उनके पास,छोड़ अग्नि-देवता का संरक्षण।

 

 

मेरा मानना नारी की 'परछाईतक 

है श्रद्धा और गरिमा-योग्य  

कर सकती है अस्वीकृति का विरोध तक 

 

अग्नि-देव से चरित्र-साख की क्या जरूरत  

नहीं होना चाहिए आपसी विश्वासघात

क्या मैंने किया अभिजात वर्ग में सती-प्रथा का आघात ?

 

मैं उन्हें दोष नहीं देती, वे भूली अपनी सत्ता 

स्त्रैण स्वतंत्र इच्छा और स्वायत्तता की

जन्मदात्री थी, सीता।

 

मैंने कमजोर पुरुष को सदा के लिए कर दिया कलंकित

आज भी सामाजिक फैसला नारियों के लिए होता अंकित

राम पीछे हटे, जब मैं सार्वजनिक मूल्यांकन में हुई प्रकाशित 

 

उनके भाईमाताभक्तों को यह था नामंजूर

मैंने साहस दिखाया, अवमानना की बार-बार

कैसे मान जाते वे एक नारी का अहंकार ?

 

भारतीय पौराणिक कथाओं मेंदुर्गा या काली केवल नहीं बनती

लड़ाकू और पुरुषवाद की विध्वंसक देवी

वे भी हैं उदारसहिष्णुदया की साक्षात मूर्ति 

 

मैं  उन नारियों की हूँ पक्षधर

जिसका नहीं टूटता धीरज का तीर   

विशाल हृदय मेरा, करता सभ्यता में अराजकता का प्रतिकार ।

 

मेरी 'स्त्री' 'शक्ति और भक्तिका प्रतीक

जो देती पुनर्जीवन प्रकृति के अंक

मैं दिखती दुखियारी की तरहमगर गलत यह सूचकांक ।

 

प्रकृति की तरह मेरा भी अहिंसक सह-अस्तित्व पर अभिमत

अरे नारीवादियों! हो जाओ शांत,

सीता के एक आयामी निराशावादी खेमे को करो युक्ति-संगत।  

 

 

मेरी कहानी में कोई उद्धरण नहीं एक भी बार

जिसमें झलकती नारी की कायरताजबरदस्ती और हार

दूसरे तरीके से याद करें, रावण को दिया गया मेरा उपचार।  '

 

मेरे अकेले अडिग खड़े रहने की धृष्टता  

कर देगी राक्षसों को सोचने पर मजबूर, नारी नहीं पाँव की जूता   

बल्कि परंपरा से पूजी जाएगी नारी, जो दिखाएगी अपनी समर्थता।

 

भारतीय नर-नारी में दिखती है माता की तस्वीर

अपने शक्ति से चलाते अपना घर-परिवार

वे ही है आभासी देवी-देवताओं का संसार 

 

भाव-प्रवण माँआत्मनिर्भर पत्नी, निष्ठावान बेटीनारी की कर्मठता

खत्म करती बौद्धिक दासता,

यह है मेरी नारीवादी नैतिकता 

 

लचीली और गरिमामयी होने सेनारी नहीं करेगी व्यभिचार  

एक अनर्गल की तरह नहीं देगी शीघ्र प्रत्युत्तर

तो क्या कही जाएगी कमजोर ?

 

राम को नहीं कहकर कठोर शब्द, किया मैंने अपना शक्ति-प्रदर्शन  

यह मेरा अहिंसा के प्रति श्रद्धा-सुमन और हार्दिक सम्मान

ताकि मिटा सकूँ उनका भेदभाव और दमन 

 

महात्मा गांधी जैसे आत्म-नियंत्रण,आत्म-निर्भर होकर मैं लड़ी

मेरा साहस और दृढ़ विश्वास बना मेरी सहयोगी छड़ी

पति-सुरक्षा पर जिजीवीषा ने पहना दी हथकड़ी। 

 

मुझे पीड़िता के रूप में देखना अनुचित, निंदित होती नारी-शक्ति

जो ला सकती शांतिपूर्णअहिंसकभावनात्मकमार्मिक क्रांति

मैं दया की कोई चीज नहींयाद रखें मेरी मानवतावादी प्रकृति ।

 

सीता और सावित्री कभी पौरुष और अंधप्रेम का नहीं हो सकती शिकार

पश्चिमी नारीवादी राजनीति विचारों से ऊपर उठ हम पर करें विश्वास  

यह है समय की मांग और हमारा अधिकार 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment