Friday, May 22, 2020

सर्ग 23 / Canto XXIII

XXIII


I was standing alone, unaccompanied in the crowd,

fighting the aces of alarm, odium, self-absorption

and sullenness -it was the battle of Sit° with Sita.

 

These demons were more powerful than the

ones you fought in Lanka years pack.

My lord avoided looking at me, as if

 

I were still the fallen woman whom he had deserted.

Addressing Muni Valmiki, he was firm and well-founded.

"Pure she may be in soul, but she has

 

to prove her pious transparency before my subjects once more.

To share my affection, my throne, my kingdom,

to be taken back home, I order one more test by fire.

 

She is the mother of my children, now I am

disposed to accept her as my queen and wife.

But fire has to assess her virtue and save her life."

 

Muni Valmiki said," Oh king Rama! You may vouch my words.

Sita has spent a righteous, honourable life for past twelve years.

You just abandoned your devoted wife for public wishes.

 

She has been my daughter and mentor to the ashramites.

Community denunciation should not have biased you

to desert your wife and the mother-to-be of your offspring."

 

 

Lakshmana angrily protested, "Brother, Mata Sita

had given a fire-test in Lanka, to which I am the witness.

Kindly spare the lksvaku clan of the

 

shame of testing the purest woman one more time.

Think of Lava and Kusha who grew up into teenagers

without knowing what family and paternal love mean."

 

But Rama was adamant; his subjects had to be pleased.

My gaze was no longer delicate, rather I was resolutely determined.

Is it for you oh men, that woman is unswervingly dedicated?

 

I smoldered with bitterness, sullenness, and said,

"Who are you expecting to adorn justice to

a woman, Lakshmana? From the one who had

 

discreetly forsaken his pregnant wife

and put the responsibility on your shoulder to

convey the sentence of exile to her before thirteen years?

 

From the father who didn't worry to enquire

if his offspring saw the light of the day safe and sound? From the

husband who left his 'beloved' wife at the mercy of

 

wild animals in the forest when she was at her most

vulnerable state even to stand up and protect herself?

From the 'responsible' father who didn't ever care to know

 

  

if his royal sons became beggars or mendicants?

I, Janaki, the mother of lava-Kusha, demand justice today from

the noblest king on earth, for the wrong

 

done to a pregnant woman and her unborn children.

And justice for the fatherless teens. If justice cannot he given, what

right has the king got to adorn Ayodhya's venerated throne?

 

Aren't his queen and sons a part of his subjects?

Deserting three guiltless people, is it called honorable ethics?

Oh Lakshmana! As a citizen, do I, too, have some fundamental rights?"

 

Such bold audacity of a mere woman! !There was public uproar.

There were whispers. Pointed fingers from all directions.

Curses. More whispers. Uneasy gestures, earnest sighs, molten tears.

 

"Janaki, I trust you; no doubt, you have

been my chaste, faithful, dutiful wife.

But if I accept you along with my

 

children today, the same question of public

condemnation for which I disowned you, may

arise again. To be innocuous and get public

 

acceptance, take the oath of immaculateness and

purity of your body, give us the second fire-test."

I looked at you, Rama, sharply, and said,

 

 

"Do sin and purity lay in a woman's body my Lord? Or do

they inhabit in one's mind? Had Ravana violated my body

when I was marooned in Lanka, the fault wouldn't have been mine!"

Shame on you woman! Shame Situ! Fie! Fie!!

Arguing with your lord, your master, publicly, that too about

Your body, which belongs to only him! Your body is a private entity!!

 

My Lord cried out helplessly and indignantly, "Siteh"!

I went near you, my Lord , and said, "Tell me honestly, if a

woman lost chastity, virginity as a result of an attack,

 

is it her responsibility? Do her body or mind change once her

body is violated? Does her mind transform itself and is her love lost?

Isn't it a mere calamity, misfortune on her part without her fault?

 

If an unwed daughter is assaulted, should

her parents throw her out from their heart and home?

If it happens to a wife, should she be thrown out to roam?

 

I am untouched by anyone else because of my

unmatched mystic powers; and then destiny was on my side.

But it might not happen at every age to each woman.

 

Is it an example you have set my Lord

that in future if a helpless woman's body be

violated beyond her wish, then she must be deserted?? "

 

 

"Nothing doing! I'll accept Sita only when

she reaffirms her spotlessness!" He aimed at Muni

Valmiki now, since he had no response to my quest.

 

With ultimate humiliation, I looked at my bewildered

sons, now stupefied by surprise. Then looked nonchalantly

yet agonizingly for one last time at my Lord

 

of seven births, Rama, and paid my-last obeisance.

Finally with a distinct hollowing movement

of my radiant eyes, looked at my three mothers,

 

three sisters, then at Trijala, Muni Valmiki, Lakshmana,

Bharata, Shatrughna, Hanuman and the Ayodhyans.

In the spell of a hallucination, I swore and bowed:

 

"Oh Mother Earth! If ! am unstained in my thought and

action, then my dignity is yours; receive me back on your lap.

If in obligation and dedication I have thought

 

of only my husband and no other man,

eliminate my ignominy, my shame and take me back!

If I have been a faithful and chaste wife,

 

my Mother, then my dignity, my esteem, are yours,

my tears are yours. Relieve me of this pain Mata and

this burden of life; I am the eternal orphan, take me home.

 

 

I was born of you, I wish to go back to you. Protect me.

Grasp me in your shielding embrace, oh Mother!

I can't take this heartache anymore, accept me back!"

 

The miracle happened, the redemption emanated.

When I was in the trance of unconditional renunciation, the

earth got divided at my feet, and a golden throne arose.

 

Mother Earth, the Ultimate Woman, arose and took me in

her lap when you and the whole of Ayodhya was

bemused with disbelief. Time and tides stood still for awhile.

 

You howled awful, "Ah Siteh! My Laxmi!

Do not abandon me, oh the crystal, the purest-pure!

You are my tapasya, my saadhana, oh my dearest dear!"

 

To late Lord Rama! I sought your adieu for this birth.

Your sons are now yours; bring them forth.

Submitting them to you, I am going back to Mother Earth.

 

Do not cry my love, perhaps it was the plan of destiny.

You did the resurrection of Ahalya, broke

the Shiv Dhanush, married me, restored peace

 

on earth by destroying the demons, designed

Rama-Rajya; you are the harbinger of the earth's redemption!

 So what if your wife was sacrificed in the noble progression?

 

  Janaka-Nandini-Janaki was carried away

by Mother Earth; sitting elegantly on Her lap on the golden

cathedral, the heavenly throne, I-accomplished farewell from  all.

 

I have performed all my duties on earth till date.

Given  birth, educated our sons, served the elders,

loved the youngsters, and cared for Nature.

 

I loved and venerated my husband with

single hearted conviction and devotion.

Now it's your duty, oh Rama, its your mission.

 

The epic song of cur life will remain alive

forever in classics, oral stories and folklore.

Solitary Rama's life of adoration, nope and harmony are over.

 

 

 

XXIII

 

मैं अकेली खड़ी थी भीड़ में, बिना किसी सहचर ,

भय, घृणा, आत्मलीनता और मलीनता से लड़कर

एक सीता दूसरी सीता के साथ कर रही थी युद्ध परस्पर 

 

ये दानव होते हैं ज्यादा ताकतवर

लंका के राक्षसों से भी ज्यादा कष्टकर

मेरे स्वामी ने मेरी तरफ नहीं घुमाई एक नजर ।

 

 

मैं अभी भी उनके लिए एक पतिता औरत

दृढ़ता से राम,वाल्मीकि को कर रहे संबोधित

सीता को दिखाना होगा अपने को पवित्र ।   

 

"शुद्ध हो सकती है वह आत्मा निष्कलंक

मगर प्रजा के सामने पवित्रता का मापक ?

दिखाना होगा अपने सतीत्व का कोई घटक ।

 

साझा करेगी मेरा राज्य,मेरा स्नेहमेरा सिंहासन,

घर ले जाने से पूर्व, सुन लो मेरा कथन  

उतीर्ण करना होगा सीता को वही समीकरण।

 

मेरे बच्चों की मां है अब सीता

रानी और पत्नी के रूप में कैसे स्वीकार करूँ पतिता

अग्नि ही परखेगी उसकी पवित्रता "

 

वाल्मीकि बोले, " हे राम! तुम मेरे वचनों को मान

बारह वर्षों से सीता बीता रही संन्यासी जीवन

अपनी समर्पित पत्नी किया निर्वासन, लोगों की बात सुन ?

 

आश्रमवासियों की शिक्षिका-सीता- है मेरी पुत्री

समाज-निंदा के भय से मत बनो पक्षपाती

त्यागी आपने अपनी निर्दोष पत्नी गर्भवती ! "

 

 लक्ष्मण हुए क्रोधित, " भाभी दे चुकी लंका में अग्नि-परीक्षा

मैंने खुद बनाई अपने हाथों से चिता, जिसका मैं स्वयं साक्षी

इक्ष्वाकु वंश को क्यों कर रहे हो शर्मसार, लेकर फिर से परीक्षा ?

 

लव-कुश के जीवन पर जरा तो करो विचार

कैसे हुए होंगे ये बच्चे किशोर ?

जिन्हें न मिला पिता का प्यार और न परिवार ।"

 

लेकिन राम भी थे अडिगकरना था उन्हें प्रजा को प्रसन्न

मैं भी थी दृढ़ संकल्पित, मेरी नजरों में और न रहा नाजुकपन

अरे ओ मर्द! तुम्हारे लिए एक नारी का अस्वाभाविक समर्पण ?

 

 

सुलगने लगा गुस्से से भीतर ही भीतर  मेरा मन ,

नारी-न्याय की किससे उम्मीद कर रहे हो, लक्ष्मण

गर्भवती पत्नी को जिसने तेरह साल पूर्व सुनाया हो निर्वासन ?

 

वह पिता जिसे चिंता नहीं,कैसे जन्म लेगी उसकी संतान

वह पति जिसने अपनी  पत्नी को छोड़ दिया हो गहन वन

वह भी उस समय जब सबसे नाजुक था उसका तन ।

 

ऐसे पिता से जिसे परवाह नहीं, कि बेटे बनेंगे भिखारी या घुमक्कड़

आज मैंजानकीलव-कुश की माँ मांगती हूँ न्याय हाथ-जोड़

क्यों किया एक राजा ने एक गर्भवती महिला और उसके अजन्मे बच्चों के जीवन के साथ खिलवाड़ ?

 

क्या पिताहीन किशोरों को किया उसने प्यार ?

ऐसे अन्यायी राजा को अयोध्या के सिंहासन पर बैठने का क्यों मिलेगा  अधिकार ?

 क्या उसकी रानी और बेटे नहीं थे रामराज्य के भागीदार ?

 

तीन निर्दोष लोगों का करना बहिष्कार

क्या है सम्मानजनक नैतिकता का आधार ?

हे लक्ष्मण! मैं भी नागरिक,मुझे भी मिलने चाहिए कुछ मौलिक अधिका? "

 

एक महिला का इतना दुस्साहस! ! सभी लोग हुए चकित

फुसफुसाहट के साथ सभी दिशाओं से उठे मेरी तरफ उंगलियों के संकेत

अभिशाप,अधिक फुसफुसाहट, आहेंपिघलते आँसू और असहज इंगित ।

 

"जानकीनिस्संदेह मुझे तुम पर है विश्वास

एक पवित्रवफादारकर्तव्यपरायण पत्नी है मेरे पास

मगर कैसे करूँ, तुम्हें स्वीकार बच्चों के साथ ?

 

जनता के उस प्रश्न का क्या दूंगा उत्तर ?

क्यों किया मैंने पहले तुम्हें अस्वीकार ?

जन-स्वीकृति हेतु देनी होगी अग्नि-परीक्षा फिर से इस बार।"

 (मैंने तुम्हारी ओर देखा और ज़ोर से कहा)

 

 "क्या नारी देह में बसते हैं पाप-पुण्य, हे भगवान ?

या रहते हैं वे किसी मनुष्य के अंतर-मन ?

क्या मैं दोषी, अगर रावण ने किया मेरा अपहरण ? "

 

 

 

“ तुम हो निर्लज्ज औरत ! छी! छी !! शर्म करो सीता !

क्यों निकाल रही हो लोगों के सामने अपने पति का पलीता ?

तुम्हारे शरीर पर हक है उसका ! यह है उसकी निजी सलिता!!

 

“ सीते!” असहायता से आक्रोशित होकर चिल्लाए राम

 पास जाकर  मैं तुम्हारे खड़ी हो गई वाम

बताओ भगवान, क्या कर रही हूँ तुम्हें बदनाम ?  

 

"क्या होगी नारी जिम्मेदार, किसी आकस्मिकता से हुआ उसका कौमार्य-भग्न ?

 उसके शरीर का हुआ धर्षण, क्या बदल जाएगा उसका तन-मन ?

क्या प्रेम हो जाएगा विलीन या बदल जाएगा उसका मन ?

 

बिना उसकी गलती के, क्या हो नहीं सकती कोई दुर्घटन ?

अगर अनब्याही बेटी पर हुआ आक्रमण, घर वाले कर देंगे उसका निष्कासन?

अगर ऐसा पत्नी के साथ हुआतो क्या देना चाहिए निर्वासन ?

 

अतुल्य आध्यात्मिक शक्ति-पुंज होने से मैं हूँ अपहुंच, अस्पृश्य

उधर साथ भी दे रहा था मेरा भाग्य

मगर हर युग में मेरे जैसी होगी नारी, क्या यह है संभाव्य ?

 

आगे बन जाएगा यह उदाहरण, जिसका कर रहे हो तुम निर्धारण

भविष्य में किसी असहाय महिला के शरीर का अगर हुआ उल्लंघन

क्या उसका पति नहीं करेगा तुम्हारा दृष्टांत देकर निर्वासन  ?? "

 

"कुछ नहीं! मैं सीता को करूंगा तभी स्वीकार

जब वह देगी अपने निष्कलंक होने का आधार” 

राम मुंह घुमाकर देखने लगे इधर-उधर 

 

मेरा हुआ घोर अपमान

लव-कुश हुए भय से हीनमान

फिर भी मैंने राम को किया मन में अंतिम नमन

 

फिर मैंने तीन माताओं, तीन बहनों को देखा सजल नयन

 फिर देखने लगी त्रिजटामुनि वाल्मीकिलक्ष्मण,

उसके बाद भरतशत्रुघ्नहनुमान और अयोध्या-न।

 

मन ही मन मतिभ्रम मेंमैंने किया सबको नमस्कार:

 "ओह धरती माता! अगर  मैं मन-वचन-कर्म से हूँ पवित्र

तो मेरी साख तुम्हारी साख समा लो मुझे अपने भीतर

 

अगर सतीत्व है मेरे भीतर  

मेरी माँतो फिर मेरा आदर तुम्हारा तुम्हारा आदर,

असह्यजीवन-बोझ से कर मुक्त, इस अनन्त अनाथ कोले चल अपने घर।

 

 मैं तुमसे जन्मी, जाऊँगी भी तुम्हारे पास

माँ ! तुम्हारे आलिंगन में करती हूँ रक्षा की आस

असह्य यह हृदय का आघात, बुला ले माँ मुझे वापस।

 

चमत्कार! जब मैं कर रही थी निशर्त आत्म-विसर्जन

अचानक मेरे पैरों के नीचे की फटी जमीन ,

और भीतर से पैदा हुआ एक स्वर्ण सिंहासन ।

 

 धरती मातापरम नारी, प्रकट हुई बाहर

ले गई मुझे अपनी गोद में बैठाकर भीतर

थम गया हो मानो समय और ज्वार ।

 

 "आह सीते ! मेरी लक्ष्मी!”– तुम्हारे दुख का न आर,न पार

मुझे मत छोड़कर जाओओह स्फटिकशुद्धता की धार!

तुम मेरी तपस्यामेरी साधनाहो मेरा प्यार ! "

 

बहुत देर हो गई, भगवान राम! 

जा रही हूँ अपने धाम

अलविदा! यह सब मेरे भाग्य का परिणाम ।

 

तुम्हारे पुत्र अब तुम्हारे हैंबनाओ उनका भविष्य

सौंपकर उन्हें तुम्हें, जा रही हूँ अपने गंतव्य

क्या कहूँ इसे भाग्य या मेरा दुर्भाग्य ।

 

अब मत रोओमेरे प्रीतम, यह नियति का खेल

शिला को बनाया अहल्या, शिव-धनुष-भंग से हुआ हमारा मेल,

फिर ब्रह्मांड में हुई शांति बहाल ।

 

राक्षसों का हुआ विनाश, राम-राज्य की हुई प्रगति

तुम हो धरती के दुख दूर करने वाले अग्रदूत !

अगर तुम्हारी पत्नी किसी अच्छे काम में बलि चढ़ी तो क्यों हो रहे हो चिंतित ?

 

 जनक-नंदिनी-जानकी धरती माता के संग चली अपने घर 

स्वर्ण-सिंहासन पर उसकी गोद में बैठकर

मैं ले रही सभी से विदा अंतिम बार 

 

मैंने आज तक दुनिया के सभी कर्तव्यों का किया पालन

बड़ों की सेवा की,बच्चों को जन्म दिया,पढ़ाया,लिखाया और सिखाया अनुशासन

युवाओं के प्रति स्नेह-भाव, और प्रकृति का करती सदैव अभिवादन 

 

मैं करती थी तुमसे अटूट प्रेम

एकल हृदय से समर्पण-भक्ति तेरे नाम

हे राम! अब बचा है तुम्हारा काम।

 

हमारे जीवन का महाकाव्य रहेगा हमेशा जीवित

शास्त्रोंमौखिक कहानियों और लोककथाओं में बनकर गीत

वनवासी राम की जीवन-आराधना और सद्भाव हुए समाप्त 

 

  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment