Friday, May 22, 2020

सर्ग 9 / Canto IX

IX 

When tapas was my sole credit in Lanka, you met

Hanuman, the Marvellous Monkey in the forest.

Hanuman, the 'Veda vedanga paarangatai,

 

the scholar of all Vedas, 'nava vyakarana pandita, expert

in the nine schools of grammar,'buddhimata varistah', the

wittiest, wisest, cleverest mightiest and the most devoted of Lord Rama'

 

He met you at the command of Sugreeva, the

vanara king, whose throne was usurped

by Vali. The saga of your friendship

 

with Vanaras, killing Vali you restored Sugreeva to throne.

The Sundara Kanda narrates in magnificent minutiae

Hanuman's dedication for Siya-Ram, by crossing the ocean in search of me.

 

He encountered the sea demonesses and demons like

Mainaka, Surasa and Simhika, overpowered

them and reached me. He narrated in a sing-song voice sitting

 

on the tree what you had told him of me,

my dark tresses, my comely limbs as if

smeared with raw turmeric, the natural

collyrium in my eyes, betel leaf lips,

my beauty like a gem tied in worn

out cloth, my persona like water in freezing

 

winter, and like the sacred Vedas. I heard from him

the tales of our courtship, our wedding,

the exile, abduction, separation and pain .

 

Overwhelmed hearing Rama-nama after ten

months, I blessed Hanuman as if he were my child, and

gave him my remaining ornaments as a

 

token. Hanuman consoled my bereaved soul

in kindest words, "Devi! Mother Sita, I crossed

the sea to find you and give my Lord's message

 

and take yours back. I am most humbled

to think I am of some use to Rama-Sita.

You are Goddess Laxmi incarnate, thus

 

you could have burnt Lanka and the

demon Ravana with just one blink.

But the chaste, dignified woman that you

 

are, you have left it to your husband

to perform his duty of rescuing, protecting

his wife. May I touch your pious feet Mata?

 

Shedding tears of joy flourishing, I accepted

your Signet-Ring from Hanuman. Yes he

was right Raghupati, that woman loves

 

the fortification of her man, fee!s secure with him.

This is her cipher of chastity, the glory

of her feminine prosperity. Hanuman wanted

 

to take me at once to you, crossing

the hundred yojanas of the sea

in one leap. But husband dear!

 

I wanted you to come and release me.

I could have waited for two more months

and then died, but given no other man this credit.

 

Giving my Crest-Jewel to Hanuman to

hand it over to my Lord, I blessed him.

Maruti lift with a promise to be back like the golden flame.

 

Oh... what happened after that? He was caught

by the demon! "Oh Ravana, I am the son

of Wind God, the devotee of Rama. My ultimate

 

order or request is, bow to Lord Rama and

Mata Sita, your life will be redeemed. The

Sita whom you have imprisoned, is nothing but

 

the dark disbanding perched over Lanka."

Ravana's blazing anger knew no bounds.

To set fire on his tail, he issued orders.

 

As Hanuman's tail-end was ablaze, he was bemused.

Rama's glory, Sita's blessings, Wind-God's inheritance made

fire abstain from burning him, he was released.

 

To my utter surprise and amusement

Hanuman leapt like a flash over

the minarets and palaces, monuments and mountains

 

burning the extravagant golden Lanka

spreading a million sparks. After

destroying half of Lanka, he dipped

 

his burning tail in the sea, and came

back to pay his obeisance to me, Vibhisana

and the other noble souls of Lanka. Then

 

he rose up to the Aristha mountain to

 take a leap for his return flight. I

counted time beneath my finger tips waiting for my Lord

 

with a new-found hope. The episode taught me.

how to discover abstinence, without trailing decorum

of my myriad-hearted transience.

 

 

IX.

 लंका में मेरे तप से मिले

तुम्हें वन में हनुम

जो वेद-वेदांग-पारंगत” ।

 

 

नौ व्याकरणों के विशेषज्ञ- नव-व्याकरण-पंडित” , ,

बुद्धिमानों में बुद्धिमान बुद्धिमतां वरिष्ठम्”,

सर्वशक्तिमान, भगवान राम के परम भक्त।  

 

मिले हनुमान तुम्हें, मान सुग्रीव का आदेश ,

बाली ने हथिया लिया जिसका प्रदेश  

भेजा तुमने वानरों को मित्रता का संदेश ।

 

बाली-वध कर तुमने सुग्रीव को सौंपा सिंहासन

मैनाकसुरसा और सिम्हिका का कर दर्प-भंजन

हनुमान ने दिखाया सुंदर कांडमें अतुल्य समर्पण

 

अशोक-पेड़ पर बैठ हनुमान ने सुनाया गीत

मुझे याद आ गया तुम्हारा दर्द भरा संगीत ,

मेरे काले बालमेरे अंग-अंग जैसे हो पीत

 

मेरी आँखों की काजल, सुपारी के पत्ते जैसे होंठ,

फटे कपड़ों में मेरे सौंदर्य-मणि का अस्तित्व

हाड़-कंपाती ठंड में स्वच्छ जल जैसा मेरा व्यक्तित्व।

 

 

पवित्र वेदों की तरह किया मैंने श्रवण

हमारी शादी, हमारे प्रेमालाप की दास्ता

दर्द,वनवासअलगाव औ अपहरण ।

 

दस महीनों बाद सुन राम-नाम’, हुई अभिभूत

दिया आशीर्वाद हनुमान को, जैसे हो मेरा पूत

दिए मेरे बचे हुए गहने, तुम पा सको सबूत 

 

मेरी शोक संतप्त आत्मा को हनुमान ने दी सांत्वना

 "देवी! माता सीतासमुद्र पार कर हुआ मेरा आगमन

 देने को प्रभु-संदेश- कैसे खत्म करें रावण की निर्यातना?

 

 हे लक्ष्मी की अवतार !  

मैं सबसे ज्यादा खुश

काम आऊँ राम-सीता के कुछ ।

 

“पल में जला सकती थी आप रावण समेत लंका

मगर सोचा होगा, पवित्रगरिमामयी नारी-रक्षा में  

बजना चाहिए सदैव पति का डंका”  

 

“ माते! कर सकता हूँ आपके चरण-स्पर्श ?”

 खुशी के आँसू बहाते हुएमैंने स्वीकारी  

 अंगूठी जिस पर थे तुम्हारे हस्ताक्षर ।

 

 हाँ, रघुपति! सदैव स्त्री पसंद करती आदमी की प्राचीर ,

अनुभव करती अटूट सुरक्षा-वलय

और नारीत्व की शुद्धता,महिमा का तूणीर ।  

 

थी हनुमान की आंतरिक चाह

उसी समय तुम्हारे पास ले जाने के लिए

फांद सौ योजन समुद्र की राह ।  

 

हे पति परमेश्वरमेरी चाह तुम आकर कराओ रिहा  

दो महीने और करूंगी इंतजार

भले ही,मर जाऊँगीमगर नहीं दूँगी दूसरे आदमी को श्रेय?

 

हनुमान को भेंट की मैंने चूड़ामणि 

तुम्हारे लिए, और दिया आशीर्वाद

वापस आने का कहकर उड़ा हनु 

 

ओह ..उसके बाद फंस गया राक्षसों की गिरफ्त

 “हे रावणमैं पवन-पुत्र हनुमान

 भगवान राम का परम भक्त।

 

“ मेरा अंतिम आदेश या अनुरोध- रावण ! जाओ सुधर

 भगवान राम-सीता को प्रणाम कर

 हो जाएगा तुम्हारा जीवन-उद्धार 

 

पता है, कौन है अपहृत सीता ?

लंका पर छाए हुए

तिमिर को मिटाने वाली सलिता

 

                       

रावण की भभक उठी क्रोधाग्नि

दिया आदेश सैनिकों को

हनुमान की पूंछ में जलाओ वहिन 

 

जैसे ही जली हनुमान की पूंछ

वह हुआ बहुत खुश

ईश्वर के आशीष से बच गया अशेष

 

मैं आश्चर्य और मनोरंजन से अभिभूत

गगन में हनुमान उड़ा विद्युत-गति 

करते हुए अतुल्य सोने की लंका भस्मीभूत।   

 

चारों तरफ आग ही आग

आधी लंका का नाश  

 फिर डुबाई जलती पूंछ समुद्र-सराग ।  

 

लौटा फिर मेरे पास आबाद  

मुझे,विभीषण और लंका की अन्य विभूतियों को

देने के लिए हार्दिक धन्यवाद 

 

फिर छलांगा अरिष्ठ पर्वत, करने को वापस गमन  

गिन रही दिन उँगलियों पर, हे मेरे भगवान

 नई उम्मीद लिए, कि कब होगा तुम्हारा आगमन?

 

सिखाती मुझे यह घटना

जीवन में सदैव संयम बरतना 

और चंचल मन को नियंत्रण में रखना ।  


No comments:

Post a Comment