Friday, May 22, 2020

सर्ग 24 / Canto XXIV

XXIV


As I have receded, oh Rama, from your view

I wish to ask you today, in this monologue, queries a few.

I want to reveal my spirits for the world's review.

 

I know you cannot answer today, in fact no man can, these are

but one-sided queries and grievances

of a woman who believes in solidarity.

 

These are not just questions, this is a panoramic

picture of how see myself, and where

I situate my character for the progeny

 

Is it completed, the Sita-saga-magnificent?

Then what will happen to the untold tale, the

pains, exultations, and time's soul-penetrating?

 

I am told that, people adore me, like

the 'unheard melody' I sit in' their poetic

imagination, the blemishless fertility goddess Sita.

 

When the heavens were blowing heart-wrenching conches

and when the malingerer thunders were elusive ,

when Mother Earth was flooded with fertility,

 

I was born. It was the hidden agenda of the heavens

that I was sent to the wasteland of Dandaka

and then I instituted myself in the Asoka Vatika.

 

 Sita and Draupadi are to the women like "flies to the

wanton boy"; they were born for a bigger cause of evil's

destruction, they are in tandem with destiny.

I am Prakriti; born of and fading into Mother Nature.

I am Shakti, phenomenal destroyer of Ravana.

I am grace; I stand for mercy, bounty and redemption.

 

I am the ultimate woman; the glorious mother of Lava-Kusha.

I am Nature; I have inestimable moods and assortments.

I am power; I have innumerable appearances on earth.

 

I am splendor; I transcend the crimson womanly.

I am pure bliss; I float as foam on the sea of frenzy.

I am innocence; born naked from the furrow.

 

I am a teardrop; I stand for the mourning -mortality.

I am a bird; grasped and fluttered to withdrawn regions.

I am a memory; sweltering and reverberating time and again.

 

I am birth; my girlhood is joyous with simmering intimations.

I am growth; I burn in the flame of the fire-ordeal.

I am death; I overpower Ravana, I eclipse evil.

 

I am immaculate; I have the attitude for the tide of sovereignty.

I am mighty; my power lies in ultimate motherhood.

I am divine; my love and grace redeems the universe.

 

  I am humane; I suffer like any mortal average.

I am benevolence; let them admire my compassionate pedigree.

I am malevolence; I care no birth, bondage and death.

 

If all of these I am, then what went wrong oh Rama?

The maker of my story Valmiki, he couldn't endure

the parting of two kraunch birds near

 

the river Tamasa, thus he wrote The Ramayana.

How could he envision the parting of

me and Rama? Is tragedy the depth of all ingenuity?

 

Different regions, folklores construe my

story differently. Muni Valmiki wrote,

Rama asked his courtier-friend Bhadra

 

of the public opinion, and he told the criticism

of the washer man about the fall in the

morals of fidelity among the womenfolk

 

due to my living in another man's house alone.

Kalidasa's rumour -monger is a spy in

his Raghuvamsa. Bhavabhuti's Uttararamacharita

 

and some texts like Kundamala, Dashavatarcharita

talk of Sita's critic as someone called

Durmukh (the foul mouthed); in the

 

 

Ananda Ramayana and the Adhyatma Ramayana,

the rumour -mongor is Vijaya. In the

Jain Ramayana, Paumachariya by Vimalasuri,

 

Rama took his pregnant wife to the Jain

temples where he talked of the critical

public opinion about the chastity of Sita.

 

Then he sent her across the river Ganga

with his general Kritantavadana; Sita

was lamenting alone, and Jain monarch

 

Vajrangha rescued her, and Lava and Kusha

were born in his palace. Ravisena's Padamacharita

and Hemachandra's Yogashastra define Rama's

 

character more positive — that he went to the

forest to look for Sita and never found her there.

Father Kamil Bulke's Vrihat Katha,

 

and then the Kathasaritsagar, Bhogavad Purana,

Jaiminia Asvamedh, Padama Purana, the

Ananda Ramayana, the Ramacharitamanas

 

wrote the tale of the washer man and

my abandonment. Whatever has been written by whosoever,

Mine is the tale of exile and ultimate abandon.

 

 I heard one folktale about my relinquishment

that Sita was asked by a crooked step-sister

to draw the portrait of Ravana after coming

 

back to Ayodhya, that Rama saw and doubted

her character. This South- East Asian

story finds similarity with the Bengali version

 

of Chandravali, a story by women authors.

Hemachandra's Jain Ramayana, the Jain tale

of Haribhadra Suri and the Ananda Ramayana

 

wrote, Sita had seen only the feet of Ravana.

She drew that coaxed by her three co-wives

who were jealous since she was pregnant.

 

The Bengali Ramayana by Krittivasa stated,

Sita drew the toe of Ravana, then slept

near it, exhausted, thus she was doubted and deserted.

 

Kashmiri Ramayana assumed the same tale.

In Ramadas Gaudh's Suvarchas Ramayana

Sita's sister-in-law is the perpetrator.

 

In Ramayana Masihi, Sita's sister-in-law

story is most popular. In Gujarati Ramayanasara

Sita is overheard by Rama when she was describing

 

 Ravana to a maid while drawing his picture

The tika Ramayana by Neelambardas .

too wrote the tale of Ravana's picture.

Kikewi Devi, the sister of Bharata and Shatrughna

pestered me to draw Ravana's picture in

the Malayan Seri Rain. I drew it on a hand-fan

 

which she kept on my chest, to be viewed by Rama.

In Javanese Ramayana , Serat Kanda, Kikewi Devi

drew the picture and placed that on my chest. ,

 

The daughter of Ravana kept his picture on

my breast while I was asleep and then

I was abandoned — in Hikayat Maharaja Rawana.

 

In the Thai Ramayan, Ramakien, the

daughter of Surpanakha painted Ravana's picture

and kept on my breast. And in Pommachakka,

 

Suurpanakha came disguised and prompted

me to paint Ravana. Vali's widow

Tara cursed me because of her disaster in the

 

Ramayana Manjari--the Asamese Ramayana of

Madhav Kandali called Sat Kanda Ramayana and .

In  Marathi Ramayana, Bhavartha, and in Bengali Ramayana by

 

 

Krittivasa Ojha and in the Vilanka Ramayanas.

Many Ramayanas, many tales. Story of a

woman, loved and lost, accepted and questioned.

 

In my story, eternal time has been synchronized

by a mysterious command. Since ages,

unfurl my questions, which are never elucidated.

 

 

 

XXIV

 

 हे रामतुम्हारे विचार जानना चाहती हूँ

मैं आज, इस एकालाप के माध्यम से कुछ पूछना चाहती हूँ

मैं दुनिया के सामने अपनी भावना प्रकट करना चाहती हूँ।

 

मुझे जानती हूँ, तुम आज जवाब नहीं दे सकते होवास्तव में कोई भी नहीं

ये एकतरफा सवाल और शिकायतें हैं

उस नारी की,जो एकता में विश्वास करती है।

 

ये केवल सवाल ही नहीं हैं,

यह एक मनोरम दृश्य भी है, मैं खुद को कैसे देखती हूँ,

और आने वाली संततियों के लिए मैं अपने चरित्र को कहाँ पाती हूँ।

 

क्या पूरी हुईसीता की भव्य-गाथा ?

फिर उस अनकही कहानी का क्या होगा,

जिसमें है दर्दअपमानऔर समय की आत्महत्या ?

 

कहते है- लोग मेरी पूजा करतेजैसे मैं 'अनसुनी राग'

मैं उनकी काव्य-कल्पना में बसती हूँ

भजन-कीर्तन की देवी सीता, इस भू-भाग

 

जब स्वर्ग में हृदय विदारक शंख बज रहे थे

जब अशुभ मायावी तूफान आ रहे थे,

जब धरती माता उर्वरा हो गई, तब मैं पैदा हुई थी

 

यह अलौकिक एजेंडा था

पहले मैं दँडक-वन के बंजर भूमि में भेजी गई

फिर किस्मत ने मुझे अशोक वाटिका दिखाई 

 

सीता-द्रौपदी चंचल लड़कों के लिए मक्खियों की तरह हैं

वे बुराई के विनाश के लिए पैदा हुई

वे सौभाग्य से एक के बाद एक पैदा हुई 

 

मैं प्रकृति हूँ ; मैं प्रकृति माता से जन्मती और उसमें समा जाती हूँ

मैं शक्ति हूँमैं रावण का अभूतपूर्व संहारक हूँ

मैं अनुग्रह हूँमैं दयावरदान और मोक्ष देती हूँ 

 

मैं परम नारी हूँमैं लव-कुश की गौरवमयी माँ हूँ 

मैं प्रकृति हूँमैं अनगिनत भावों का वर्गीकरण हूँ

मैं शक्ति हूँमैं पृथ्वी पर मेरी असंख्य उपस्थिति दर्ज कराती हूँ

 

मैं वैभव हूँमैं महिलाओं की लज्जा में निवास करती हूँ 

मैं शुद्ध आनंद हूँमैं उन्माद के समुद्र पर झाग के रूप में तैरती हूँ।

मैं निर्दोष हूँमैं हल-रेखा से नग्न पैदा हुई हूँ

 

मैं एक अश्रु-बूंद हूँमैं शोक-मातम के लिए खड़ी हूँ।

मैं एक पक्षी हूँमैं चंगुल में पकड़कर निर्वासित क्षेत्रों में उड़ जाती हूँ 

मैं एक स्मृति हूँमैं बार-बार निगलकर प्रतिध्वनित होती हूँ।

 

मैं जन्म हूँमैं संवेदनशील सूचनाओं से भरे कौमार्य के साथ खुश है।

मैं विकास हूँमैं अग्नि-परीक्षा की ज्वाला में जलती हूँ।

मैं मृत्यु हूँमैं रावण पर हावी होती हूँ, बुराई पर ग्रहण लगाती हूँ 

 

मैं बेदाग हूँमेरे पास संप्रभुता-ज्वार वाला दृष्टिकोण है।

मैं पराक्रमी हूँमेरी शक्ति परम मातृत्व में निहित है।

मैं दिव्य हूँमेरा प्यार और अनुग्रह ब्रह्मांड का दुख हरता है

 

 मैं इंसानियत हूँमैं किसी भी नश्वर प्राणी की तरह साधारण नारी हूँ।

मैं परोपकार हूँउन्हें मेरी दयालु वंशावली की प्रशंसा करने दें।

मैं पुरुषत्व हूँमुझे जन्मबंधन और मृत्यु की परवाह नहीं है।

 

हे राम, अगर सब-कुछ मैंतो फिर क्या गलती हुई ?

वाल्मीकिजो सह न सके, तमसा नदी के दो क्रौंच पक्षियों की जुदाई

तब शुरू हुई  मेरी कहानी रामायण की लिखाई।

 

वे कैसे सोच भी सकते है

मेरे और राम के अलग-अलग होने की कहानी 

क्या त्रासदी सभी विदग्धताओं की है निशानी ?

 

अलग-अलग क्षेत्रों मेंअलग-अलग लोककथाएँ  

वाल्मीकि के अनुसार, राम अपने मित्र भद्र से पूछते, जनता की राय

वही धोबी की कहानी, महिलाओं की जुबानी, नैतिकता का अवक्षय।

 

कालिदास के रघुवंश में जासूस था अफवाह प्रचारक

 भवभूति की उत्तररामचरित और कुछ ग्रंथ जैसे कुंडमालादशावतारचरित

दुर्मुख को बताते सीता के आलोचक

आनंद रामायण और अध्यात्म रामायण विजय है अफवाह वाहक।

 

 विमलसूरि के जैन रामायण, पुमाचरियम में

 राम अपनी गर्भवती पत्नी को ले जाते जैन-मंदिर

सीता की शुद्धता के बारे में पूछते जनता के विचार। 

 

फिर भेजते गंगा नदी के उस पार, साथ में सेनापति कृतांतवंदन

 सीता का विलाप सुन, बचाता जैन सम्राट वज्रांग,

लव-कुश पैदा हुए उनके महल के प्रांगण । 

 

रवीसेना की पदमचरित और हेमचंद्र के योगशास्त्र में

दिखाए गए राम-चरित्र के अनेक पुण्य  

सीता के दर्शनार्थ जाते जंगल, नहीं मिलती उस अरण्य । 

 

फादर कामिल बुल्के की राम-कथा, और फिर कथासरित्सागरभगवद पुराण,

जैमिनिया अश्वमेधपद्म पुराणआनंद रामायणरामचरितमानस

में आती है धोबी और मेरे परित्याग की कहानी

जिसने भी जो भी लिखा, मेरा निर्वासन और अंतिम परित्याग उनकी जुबानी,

सभी की आँखों से बहा पानी ।

 

मेरे परित्याग की एक और लोककथा

सीता की कुटिल सौतेली बहन ने कहा,बनाने रावण का चित्र  

 यह देख राम को संदेह हुआ उसके चरित्र 

 

 ( यह दक्षिण-पूर्व एशियाई कहानी बंगाली लेखिका की कहानी चंद्रावली से मिलती-जुलती है)

 

हेमचंद्र की जैन रामायणजैन-कथा हरिभद्र सूरी और आनंद रामायण  में

सीता ने देखे केवल रावण के पैर

उप-पत्नियों के बहकावे में आकर बनाई उसने तस्वीर 

गर्भवती होने से बन गई वह उनके ईर्ष्या का घर 

 

कृतिवास की बंगाली रामायण में सीता खींचती रावण के पैर का अंगूठा फिर सो जाती  थकहार उसके पास,

संदेह होता राम को, फिर से भेजता वनवास 

 

 

 कश्मीरी रामायण ने मानी यही कथा                 

रामदास गौड़ की सुवरचास रामायण में सीता के ननद की शरारत  

 रामायण मसिही मेंसीता के ननद वाली कहानी प्रचलित  

 

गुजराती रामायणसार में राम सुन लेते हैं,

जब सीता को रावण-चित्र के बारे में पूछती नौकरानी  

नीलांबरदास की  टीका रामायण में भी रावण-चित्र की कहानी ।

 

भरत-शत्रुघ्न कीबहन,किकेवी देवी,मुझे रावण-चित्र खींचने के लिए उकसाती

मलायन सेरी राम में, मैं इसे हाथ-पंखे पर खींचती,वह रख देती मेरी  छाती  जिसे देख लेते राम और कर देते मेरी छुट्टी 

 

जावा-रामायण  सीरत कांड  में  किकेवी देवी चित्र खींच रखती मेरे छाती   ,

हिकायत महाराजा रावण में रावण-पुत्री भी यही घटना दोहराती

जब मैं सो रही होती, फलत: निर्वासित होती यह गर्भवती । 

 

थाई रामायणरामकियेन, शूर्पनखा की बेटी और पोमचक्का में शूर्पनखा भेष बदलकर आती 

मुझे रावण के चित्र में रंग भरने के लिए कहती  

रामायण मंजरी – में बाली की विधवा तारा मुझे अभिशाप देती।

 

 माधव कंडाली की असामी रामायण सात कांड रामायण और

 मराठी रामायणभावार्थऔर कृत्तिवास ओझा की बंगाली रामायण

 और विल्ंका रामायण में तरह-तरह के किस्से-कहानी 

कथानक एक ही है, महिला की कहानी, उसका प्यार और उसकी हार  

अग्नि-परीक्षा,स्वीकार और फिर अस्वीकार 

 

मेरी कहानी में,

शाश्वत समय, एक रहस्यमय आदेश द्वारा, समक्रमिक बनता  

युगों से, मैं अपने सवाल पूछ रही हूँ, जिसका जवाब कभी  नहीं मिलता

 

 

  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment