Friday, May 22, 2020

सर्ग 8 / Canto VIII

VIII

Sita in the Asoka-vana, it an immortal

saga of chasity of women and courage and

conviction. Unlike every father blessing their

 

daughters to 'get' the marital-bliss after wedding,

my father Janaka had sanctified me to 'create' happiness in marriage and lighten the lamp of harmony between you and me.

 

Like an autonomous woman, be the organic whole of womanhood, like the Goddess Earth, be reclaimed; like earth be natural.

At once like Goddess Kali, formidable,

 

naked, fierce, uninhibited; and like Goddess

Parvati, elegant, tender, decorous, beautifully

dressed, elegantly attired, and standing for conjugal commitment.

 

Anyway, I was never a subservient, cowered wife.

But yes, I was your devoted partner. I abandoned my

jewelry in the jungle to leave a trail behind

 

for you to follow me. I was Banadurga. Could you get my

message my Lord? It was that — dharma

of a woman was defied by the demon

 

breaking the code of conduct of an upright man

thus converting Parvati into Kali,

from attired to naked, from cosmos

 

 

to chaos. In every age woman has given

this message — adore her, she is Parvati,

Laxmi, Saraswati. Overrun or jeopardise her,

 

civilization becomes forest, Kali descends

on the chest of the fanatic; thus, when woman

abandons her elegance, death descends.

 

Why not ask the questions of fidelity to

the chauvinist rather than just upholding

the social value of fidelity on her? Why

 

is her reputation soiled at the drop of

a hat? My father King Janaka

had got me from the golden casket in a furrow.

 

Rejoicing, he took me home. So I am the essential

orphan, the girl child. I am the story untold

in the syntax of many an orphaned, rejected girls.

 

But forget not, oh civilized ones, that the

same orphaned girl can make or mar the

destiny of Ravana, the ten-headed, the king of

 

kings. Even though I am remembered in my

simple domestic roles among the earthly women, yet

they know me as the woman gifted with

 

spiritual competence. I am one among all,

yet I go beyond all. In the Asoka-vatika

well-guarded by the dasis in that gynaeceum

 

I was shining like Ravana's glorious trophy!

But he knew not, I was not a woman, but his

death incarnate, whom he had snatched from fate and adored

 

Skilled ogresses were left with me to dole out,

offering clothing, food, gems and diamonds. No one

was permitted to meet me unless allowed by the king.

 

In the Rakshasas' propinquity and the close

watch of fetid demonesses, I saw the city

of Lanka, Ravana's palace in the island

 

with a sense of quiver in my collapsing

body, I lamented day and night for

lusting after an aberrant golden deer

 

and inferring treason on dear Lakshmana.

Then came the ten-headed king, found

me weeping like a willow, and he was shaken.

 

Pleaded with me to see his huge palace with pillars

of ivory, wardrobes with flamboyant gems

doors of gold, vegetation exotic, and offered,

 

"Oh Sundari ! All this is yours. Be my Queen of Queens

leave that yogi, Rama, the wandering mendicant;

with me choose the delight of the world."

 

I veiled my furious face in my robe in repulsion

he took it for my fear and emotional outburst

"Marry me, oh ravishing lady. Don't fear me." He fell at my feet.

 

Said the demon, he had never bowed down thus

I cordoned myself behind a plain thin green grass

and ordered, without my wish, no one can cross

 

this boundary of the grass, be him a man or

a demon or god, and repeated all that

I had said in the Pushpak — that Rama

 

was my Lord for lives and he was the

ultimate authority of the universe. He was

the Almighty. The outrage of Rama's wife, I said,

 

makes one susceptible to fatality.

My insolence and pride could not be tamed

Ravan's pompous offers subjected him to be doomed.

 

"Haughty woman! I give you twelve months

time to accept and marry me. Else my cook

will slaughter you and prepare my meal."

 

I was amazed! I never feared him nor

worried about death. My ruthless, jagged wardresses

couldn't panic me, couldn't confab.

The contingent of rakshashis, and the

rivaling eternities of time, nothing could

budge me by an inch; because I was chanting your

name 'Rama-nama,' breathing in your love my redeemer.

I accepted the wisdom that Ravana has given me twelve months

time; yes, life gives us time to take firm steps.

 

Days followed days, weeks followed weeks.

A comatose schedule became my way of life.

In captivity, days were a nightmare, nights pierced like stiletto,

 

"No!" was the only word I articulated to all, water

was my only food intake for days. My

thirteenth year of leaving Ayodhya was here.

 

This was the year of purgation of my soul

the year of my ordeal of patience and perseverance.

Now I distinguished illusion from the real.

 

After a few months I made friends with Trijala

and Anala, Vibhishana and Sarama's

daughters. Vibhishana, Ravana's younger

   

brother and his wife and daughters were

your devotees, resembling lotuses

in the midst of mud. Belonging to the rakshasha

 

race by birth, even they were the preservers of dharma.

I was told about Queen Mandodari, Ravana's

virtuous wife, mother of Indrajit.

 

And about Sulochana, Indrajit's wife, the Naga Princess,

the noble and wise woman.

Ravana hated Vibhishana, his wife and children.

 

Tell me oh Rama! Righteousness incarnated!

Why grace was disparaged and redemption faced judgment?

Why vice was rewarded and virtue punished?

 

 VIII

 

सीता के अशोक-वन का उद्धहरण,

 नारी की पवित्रता,साहस और सजा का अमर कथन

 हर पिता देता बेटियों को वैवाहिक-आनंद की 'प्राप्ति' का आशीर्वचन ।

 

इसके विपरीत मेरे पिता जनक का वरदान

शादी खुशी पैदा करने वाला पवित्र-बंधन  

और तुम्हारे-मेरे बीच सामंजस्य का हो दीप-प्रज्ज्वलन।

 

एक मनमौजी नारी बन धरती माता

फूँकती पूरी तरह से नारीत्व में प्राण

जैसे पृथ्वी भरती प्रकृति से अपने गर्त ।   

 

काली की तरहदुर्जेयनग्नभयंकरनिर्जन

पार्वती की तरह पहने कोमलआकर्षकखूबसूरत परिधान

 खड़ी हुई सुरुचिपूर्ण ढंग से लिए प्रतिबद्धता का संयुग्मन  

 

वैसे भीमैं कभी न किसी के सामने झुकी, और न रही गुलाम  

लेकिन हांमेरा अपने साथी के प्रति रहा समर्पण हरदम

 मैंने जंगल में गहने फेंके तुम्हारे बढ़ाने को अपने कदम।

 

मैं थी बाणदुर्गा  

क्या तुम्हें मेरा संदेशा नहीं मिला, मेरे भगवान 

क्या यह धर्म है, दानव ने एक अबला महिला से लिया पंगा ।

 

एक ईमानदार आदमी ने तोड़ी आचार-संहिता

ताकि  पार्वती बन जाए काली ,

हो जाए सुंदर परिधान खोल निर्वस्त्रा।  

 

ब्रह्मांड में कहीं फैल न जाए अराजकता

 हर युग में नारी ने दिया प्यार का संदेश ,

वह है पार्वती, लक्ष्मीसरस्वती की विशेषता ।

 

उसे कुचलने से सभ्यता हो जाएगी जंगली,

काली पाँव रखेंगी आततायियों की छाती

 नारी तजेगी लालित्य,उठेगी मौत की उंगुली 

 

उठे निष्ठा पर सवाल  

नारी-निष्ठा के सामाजिक मूल्य क्यों 

क्यों उसकी प्रतिष्ठा पर बवाल ?

 

मेरे पिता थे राजा जनक  

मिली मैं हल जोतते समय स्वर्ण-सन्दूक   

 वे मुझे ले आए अपने चम्पक 

 

 इसलिए कहना जरूरी हूँ एक अनाथ,

बालिका की अनकही-कहानी

कई अनाथअस्वीकृत लड़कियों के कथानकों पर आधारित, हे नाथ !

 

ओहसभ्य लोगोंमत भूलो प्रीति

एक ही अनाथ लड़की सकती है बदल

राजाओं के राजा, दशानन रावण की नियति ।

 

 भले ही, मैं याद की जाती हूँ मन-ही-मन

सांसारिक महिलाओं की सरल घरेलू भूमिकाओं में,

फिर भी वे जानते हैं मुझे मिला आध्यात्मिक वरदान  

 

मैं सबसे ज्यादा वंचित  

फिर भी मैं सबसे आगे  

अशोक-वाटिका में दासियों द्वारा संरक्षित

 

मैं लग रही थी जैसे रावण की शानदार ट्रॉफी !

मैं नारी नहींबल्कि थी उसकी मृत्यु का अवतार,

अपने दुर्भाग्य पर कभी नहीं मांग पाएगा माफी।  

 

उसने मेरे पीछे लगाए कुशल नरभक्षी,

जो करते भेंट वस्त्रभोजनरत्न और हीरे-जवाहरात  

बिना राज-अनुमति के कोई नहीं मिलता मुझ मीनाक्षी

 

देखे मैंने नजदीक से राक्षसों के प्रपंच

मैली-कुचैली राक्षसियां और  

लंका- द्वीप में रावण का आवास।

 

घूमने लगा मेरा सिर    

 मैंने दिन-रात किया विलाप

क्यों उठा मुझमें स्वर्ण-मृग का विकार।  

 

और प्रिय लक्ष्मण पर राजद्रोह का आरोप

फिर आया दशानन

मुझे रोता देख करने लगा कोप 

 

कहा- देखें रत्न-जड़ित, हाथीदांत,

खंभों वाले, सोने के दरवाजों वाला  

प्रासाद विराट ।   

 

"ओह सुंदरी! यह सब तुम्हारा धन

बन जाओ मेरा तन-मन  

छोड़ दो योगी भटकते भिक्षु राम को वन । 

 

 

अपने तमतमाए चेहरे को मैंने ओढ़ाया घूँघट 

समझ इसे मेरे डर और भावावेग   

"मुझसे शादी कर लोओह सुंदरी! मुझसे डरो मत।" 

यह कह मेरे पैरों में गिर पड़ा झट।

 

कहने लगाइस तरह पहले उसने नहीं किया साष्टांग 

छुपाया मैंने अपने आप को हरी घास के पीछे

और कहाबिना मेरी इच्छाकोई नहीं सकता सीमा-लांघ।

 

चाहे वह आदमी हो या दानव या भगवान,

और फिर से दोहराने लगी वे सारी बातें

जिसे पुष्पक में सुन रहा था वह हैवान।

 

 राम मेरे जीवन के भगवान  

ब्रह्मांड में सर्वशक्तिमान

राम-पत्नी का आक्रोशदेगा तुम्हें मौत का वरण ।

 

मेरी जिद, अभिमान कर सकते हो वश?   

रावण का दंभी प्रस्ताव 

कराएगा उसका विनाश 

 

"घमंडी औरत! मैं तुम्हें देता हूँ बारह महीना

मुझे स्वीकार कर, शादी करने के लिए

नहीं तो, मेरा रसोइया बनाएगा तुम्हारे शरीर का भोजन। 

 

मैं स्थिर-अचल ! 

न मुझे मौत का डर, न ही चिंता

न घबराई दंतेली राक्षसियों से बिलकुल 

 

राक्षसियों का दल

समय की अनंत प्रतिद्वंद्विता,

एक इंच तक कर न सके विचल।

 

मैं जप रही थी 'राम-नाम,'

तुम्हारे प्यार में सांस ले रही थी, मेरे उद्धारक

हांजीवन में समय मिलता है उठाने को दृढ़ कदम ।

 

दिनों पर दिनसप्ताह पर सप्ताह

जीवन होने लगा अचेतन

कैद मेंदिन में दुःस्वप्नरात में काँटों की कराह। ,

 

 

"नहीं!" था एकमात्र शब्द- जिसे मैंने कहा हर हाल,

जल मेरा एकमात्र भोजन

हुए अयोध्या छोड़े तेरह साल ।

 

मेरे आत्म-शुद्धिकरण का साल

मेरे धैर्य और दृढ़ता की परीक्षा का साल

जानने लगी मैं यथार्थ और भ्रम-जाल 

 

कुछ महीनों बाद हुई मेरी दोस्ती  

त्रिजटा,अनलविभीषण और सरमा-पुत्रियों से

जो रावण को सदैव कोसती।

 

विभीषण का परिवार आपका भक्त

कीचड़ में कमल-सदृश

 जन्म-जात राक्षस फिर भी आप्त।

 

मिली मुझसे रानी मंदोदरी,

 और इंद्रजीत की पत्नी सुलोचना ,

वह थी नाग राजकुमारी, कुलीन और बुद्धिमान नारी 

 

 

बताइए हे राम! धर्म के अवतार!

क्यों अनुग्रह नापसंद ? और मोचन तार-तार ?

क्यों पुण्य को दंड और पाप को पुरस्कार?


No comments:

Post a Comment