Friday, May 22, 2020

सर्ग 20 / Canto XX

XX

A new chapter of my life began, the Uttara Kanda.

I was left alone by Saumitri, appearing hysterical.

weeping uncontrollably, weighing my virtue and sin.

 

Maharshi Valmiki's hermitage was nearby

the disciples saw me in extreme misery

Muni Valmiki rushed to my quandary to receive me.

 

In his daze of transcendental sight he knew

why I was there, and acknowledged the greater world view.

I was welcomed by all, loved like a drop of dew.

 

The holy, pure ashram mothered me,

with fortification and protection and with ease

I regained my strength and breathed in peace.

 

Never ever was I brooding over my destiny.

Muni Valmiki was like my guru and father perspicuity.

read the scripts, served the ashramites

 

under his auspicious and blissful guidance.A strange story.

The Tattvasamgraha Ramayana finds Valmiki accountable

for my relinquishment. He had accomplished long propitiation

 

to become the father of deity Lakshmi and had

been approved a blessing. Lakshmi had to come and

stay in his hermitage as his daughter, when

 

 she took rebirth as me, Janaki. My second exile

is not even considered by some Ramayanas as the story

worth talking. Tulsidas' Ramachoritamanas ends

 

with the splendid sovereign rule of Rama, of course with

Sita beside him. My abandonment is justified in

his Geetavali, that king Dasharatha's early

 

death caused his remaining years to be passed on

to Rama. Thus, during my husband's 'Dasharatha years'

he couldn't have been my husband taking me as his wife.

 

I had to cast aside depression and unrest.

Mother Nature was the phenomenal palliative to my suffering soul.

She healed my pain and in turn I became a healer.

 

I healed the pain of many a wounded deer

and peacocks; I cooked, laughed, prayed,

played, shared my life with the ashramites.

 

For the first time I understood true solidarity.

The women in the ashram were amazed, pleased

to serve me; it was, for me, true home coming.

 

My healing touch gave life to the dry grasses

my tears gave the rivers full-bodied waters

my music and songs added symphony and ambience.

 

 

Forest became home for me, yet the trauma sustained.

Mother Earth and father Valmiki healed my bereaved soul.

I got that lost sisterhood from the hermitresses.

 

My sighs, tears and star -crossed life pricked

me whenever there was some time free at hand.

Thus, I kept myself in humanity's service engrossed.

 

I led a simple life, all fineries discarded.

Among all the women folk, there was the kind Vasumati.

She was my friend in need, amid the ashramites.

 

I chanted the Veda for the benefit of the pupils.

I cooked simple delicacies, like a mother to all.

I spread the message of love and compassion.

 

My redeeming manifestation purged the air around.

My motherly countenance filled their hearts.

I got a new meaning of life, sans all self-centeredness.

 

Departed from Lord Rama, nights and days

were just the same for me. All I could do

in days and insomniac nights was to see the light within.

 

Power and peace were the two dimensions of

my personality, as perceived by the ashramites.

I lived two lives, one in the past and one in the present.

 

 what opaque and convoluted web was entwined

by the cosmic gods. My individuality triumphed

and myself died out in cne and all.

 

Nadopasini, the hermitress, sang soulful songs

to Nature; my soul got liquefied and

igneous with the music, symphony and quietness.

 

I mastered the art of connecting with

the trees, squirrels, animals and birds

through touch, smell and through melody unheard.

 

Ecology was my home now, free from the

wistful four walls of the stately mansions and palaces.

The daughter of Mother Earth, I was ultimately in her lap.

 

Motherhood and fulfillment had to come in time.

The birds from the nest of my womb got

released, I gave birth to my sons, Sitaputra-Lava-anda-Kusha.

 

Hark my children! I will regret it for seven lives

that Raghupati Raghav Raja Ram, your noble

father, was not beside me, to hold you in his arms.

 

You must understand the ecstasy and ache of

Your solitary mother, Sita, the wife castaway.

You must shine as the resplendent sun importunately.

 

XX

 

   

मेरे जीवन का एक नया अध्याय शुरू हुआउत्तरकांड

जब सौमित्री ने छोड़ा अकेला, हुआ मुझे उन्माद

बहुत रोते-रोते तौलने लगी मेरे पाप-पुण्य का कुंड 

 

पास में था महर्षि वाल्मीकि का आश्रम

शिष्यों ने देखा जब मुझे दुखी चरम

रोते देख, मुनि वाल्मीकि लेने आए स्वयं 

 

अपनी दिव्य-दृष्टि से जाने मेरे सारे हाल

समझाया मुझे रखने को हृदय विशाल

स्वागत किया सभी ने पहनार पुष्प-माल।

 

पवित्रशुद्ध आश्रम ने दिया मुझे माँ का प्यार,

संरक्षण और सुरक्षा-कवच मेरे चारों ओर

पहचानी मैंने अपनी शक्ति और शांति की गार ।

 

भाग्य पर कभी भी नहीं था मुझे विश्वास

वाल्मीकि बने मेरे गुरु, पिता ने दी शुभाशीष  

पढ़ने लगी शास्त्रकरने लगी आश्रमवासियों की सेवा-सुश्रुषा।

 

पढ़ने को मिली अजीब तत्वसंग्रह रामायण

जो ठहराती वाल्मीकि को उत्तरदायी,मेरे निर्वासन 

देवी लक्ष्मी के पिता बनने का मिला उन्हें वरदान 

 

लक्ष्मी पुनर्जन्म में बनी जानकी

बेटी बन पहुंची  घर वाल्मीकि

कुछ रामायणों में नहीं है यह किंवदंती 

 

तुलसी की रामचरितमानस दर्शाती केवल रामराज्य

राम के साथ मिलकर सीता चलाती अयोध्या के सारे काज

सुख,समृद्ध और शांति से जी रही थी वहाँ की प्रजा ।   

 

तुलसी की गीतावली उचित ठहराती मेरा निर्वासन  

दशरथ के असामयिक मरण से बची अवधि मिली राम को दान

'दशरथ-अवधिमें राम नहीं दे सकते थे मुझे पत्नी का सम्मान।

 

अवसाद और अशांति से पानी थी मुझे मुक्ति

मेरी  आत्मा का दुख हरती मेरी माँ प्रकृति

मेरे दर्द का हुआ निवारण, मैं बनी दर्दनिवारक शक्ति ।

 

घायल हिरणों और मयूरों का करती इलाज अपने हाथ 

मैं खाना बनाती,हँसती,प्रार्थना करती,खेलती-कूदती

 अपना जीवन साझा करती आश्रमवासियों के साथ ।

 

 

पहली बार मैंने समझा, क्या होता है एकता का असर ?

आश्रम की महिलाएँ चकित, प्रसन्नचित्त, सेवा में तत्पर

मानो,सच में, मेरे लिए था घर-वापसी का वह दौर 

 

मेरे हाथ के स्पर्श से सूखी घास हुई हरित 

मेरे आंसुओं ने नदियों को किया आप्लावित

मेरे गीत-संगीत ने कर दिया परिवेश हर्षित।  

 

वन बना मेरा घर, मगर भूल न सकी वह आघात

माता धरती, पिता वाल्मीकि ने दूरकर दुख-दर्द, दिया प्यार

आश्रम की बहिनों से हुई मेरी खोई आत्मा पुनर्जीवित ।

 

 मेरी आहेंआंसू और किस्मत- याद दिला देते वे दुर्दिन  

जब भी मुझे कुछ समय खाली मिलता अदिन

इसलिए मैं खुद को रखती सदैव मानवता की सेवा में तल्लीन ।

 

ठाट-बाट से दूर,व्यतीत करने लगी साधारण जीवन-शैली  

सभी महिलाओं में सहृदया वासुमती

आश्रमवासियों में थी वह मेरी खास सहेली 

 

मैं शिष्यों के हितार्थ करती वेद-मंत्रों का उच्चारण

एक माँ की तरह बनाती सभी के लिए सरल व्यंजन

फैलाती प्रेम और करुणा का संदेश प्रतिपल, प्रतिदिन 

 

मेरे वेद-मंत्रों के उच्चारण से परिवेश हुआ शुद्ध

मेरे वात्सल्य से भर गया उनका हृदय उद्बुद्ध

अनात्म-केंद्रितता से मिला जीवन का नया अर्थ प्रबुद्ध

                    

भगवान राम से बिछुड़े हुए गुजरते गए रात-दिन

दिन को आश्रम का काम,रात को अनिद्रा का शासन  

मुझे अपने भीतर दिखने लगा एक बिन्दु ज्योतिर्मान।

 

शक्ति और शांति मेरे व्यक्तित्व का द्वि-विभाजन  

 जैसा कि आश्रमवासियों ने बनाई मेरे प्रति एक धारणा

मैं जीती दो जीवन, एक अतीत और एक वर्तमान 

 

 

कैसे अपारदर्शी,जटिल जाल में पधारे ब्रह्मांड के देवता

आखिर मेरा विभाजित व्यक्तित्व जीता

और मेरा स्व अपने आप हुआ समाप्त 

 

नादोपासिनीआश्रमवासीआत्मा से गाती प्रकृति के गीत

मेरी आत्मा हो जाती द्रवित

और संगीतस्वर और शांति से प्रज्ज्वलित 

 

जैव-मैत्री कला में जिससे मुझे मिली महारत 

जुडते पेड़गिलहरीपशु और पक्षी आर्त

स्पर्श, गंध और अनसुनी ध्वनि के स्वर 

 

पारिस्थितिकी अब बनी मेरा घर

आलीशान हवेली और महलों की चार-दीवारी हुई विस्मरण 

धरती माता की पुत्रीआखिरकर आई प्रकृति की शरण 

 

मातृत्व और तृप्ति का भी होता है निर्धारित वक्त

मेरे गर्भ के घोंसले से दो पक्षी हुए उन्मुक्त

मैंने अपने बेटों को जन्म दियासीतापुत्र-लव-औरकुश।

 

सुनो बच्चों! सात जन्मों तक इस बात का रहेगा मुझे गम

तुम्हारे कुलीन पिता रघुपति राघव राजा राम

नहीं पास में तुम्हें भरकर बाहों में करने को प्रेम 

 

बाद में समझोगे, तुम्हारी निस्संग माँ के दुख-दर्द भारी 

तुम्हारी  माँसीताएक परित्यक्ता नारी

बनोगे दैदीप्यमान सूरज की तरह ब्रह्मचारी 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment